Thursday, January 10, 2013

Window Valence and Room Make-over!

When we moved into our new house we had blinds on the front up-stair windows and roman shades on all the others in the house, except our kitchen window.  The window above the kitchen sink was just a big plain window, but you could tell the people before us had some kind of window covering/hanging because they left a curtain rod there, in fact, all of the bedrooms had curtain rods as well.  I decided I wanted to try my hand at making a window valance.  And I have to say... I LOVE the way it turned out.  In fact, I loved it so much that I ended up making one for my room and two for my daughter's room.  Our spare bedroom has one too... It is just one that came with our guest bedding.   I didn't realize how easy they are to make until I gave it a try.  I am glad I did... It makes a room feel more complete!  You can check out this tutorial on how to make a quick and easy window valance.

Best picture I could get because of the lighting.



Room make-over

        When we moved here my daughter (M) was still in her toddle bed, but was out growing it.  My parents were coming in August and were bringing us half (hopefully we'll have need/room for the other half some day) of a bunk bed that my dad had made 25+ years ago.  It was brown and pretty beat up from 7 kids, so we decided to paint it white, which also makes it feel a little more girly. We had to prime it, sand it and then repaint it.  It was a lot of work, but with the help of my amazing dad we got it done!
       I also took the letters from M's room and repainted all of them to go with the new bedding for her bed.  I painted them white and then did paint splatters of the different colors in her bed spread.
        We got her bedding from Ikea, which is just a duvet cover, which I LOVE because we had a nice down comforter, which was kinda ugly, but still worked so I was just able to cover it up for $20!  Then when my parents came we went out to Ikea again, and they had the same comforter in the As Is section so we grabbed that and I was able to make matching window valances for her room and I hope to one day make a bed skirt to go with it.

     I love the way her room turned out, now if only she could keep it clean :)


Before


After





No comments:

Post a Comment